From the beginning, Monkland established a clear position as a “playing” club, though members were known to enjoy a few after game cocktails.
In 1939 the Club had 78 Senior Playing men and 45 Senior Playing women. Plus a variety of other members. Annual membership dues were $22 and the total Assets of the Club at year-end were $795.19. Needless to say we have come up a bit in the world.
During the war years there were more senior playing women than men. And there was a shortage of tennis balls.
The Club has seen many great characters and builders over the years including the likes of Jack Milroy Sr., Peter Bronfman and Dick Evans. There have been a total of 30 Chairs of the Board since 1939.
Over the years the Monkland Tennis Club has seen some fine tennis played and produced more than its share of age group Canadian Champions. The Club hosted the 1962 Quebec Open and the 1964/67 Canadian Open where club members got to see the likes of Roy Emerson, John Newcombe, Cliff Drysdale and Tony Roche play.
Today the Monkland Tennis Club is a vibrant community of junior, intermediate and senior playing members, as well as our social members who enjoy a much improved club house facilities, a warm social environment and great tennis – on the best clay courts in Quebec.
The Monkland Tennis Club celebrated it's 75th anniversary last year. Included below is a link to a CBC special segment that Sandy Milroy hosted.
Monkland Tennis Club celebrates 75 years
Douglas Gelevan reports from the Monkland Tennis Club as they celebrate 75 years...
The land that the Monkland Tennis Club sits on was once sold by P.S. Ross & Sons to Ross Realty Co. Ltd. for $1.00 in 1906. The following year it became the property of the Protestant School Board which sold the land to The Westmount Athletic Association in 1923 when a clubhouse and 13 courts were built.
In 1936 the Protestant School Board reacquired the land and the Club became part of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association.
In 1939 a group of tennis players led by George Payne formed the Monkland Tennis Club and Courts Limited – the ownership body.
In 1946 the Protestant School Board finally sold the land to Courts Limited, which remains the land and building owner today.